Κυριακή 23 Σεπτεμβρίου 2012

Masquerade

This is a piece, completed since last June. When I checked it today, I found that there weren't many extra things to do. So I went on publishing it. 

The main thing here is the heavy use of pencil, both on this (over the top) late sixties hairdo (a five piece collage of tracing paper) and on the written part/frame of the picture. The collage hairdo idea, made easier for me to "cut off" the face from the rest of the figure, and give it a sense of masque, like the ones on a masquerade (huge Carpenter hit). 


And in a way Karen Carpenter's life, in my eyes, was a masquerade. I mean her public/artistic image, goody, sentimental and sweet (just like the childlike wallpaper of the background) was mostly impressed by the record company. In her private life I think she was something different, less colourfull, something that  drove her to anorexia and finally to death. So the rough penciled almost black and white figure expressed for me, the demons in her mind that caused this fatal end in her life.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου